And, in the end…

Continued…

It turns out I only needed 10 yards to actually finish the shawl.  But there was no way I could have eeked out the edging without the 10 yards.  I blocked it…And I was happy — very happy.  I loved the yarn, I loved the shawl, I loved how it looked and felt on me.

It was a simple knit.  I thought I’d publish it.

When I write a pattern for a sweater, I sit down and actually work everything out before I start to knit.  With the shawl, it was just a sketchy outline with notes and hand-drawn diagrams, mostly done as I went along.  I should have known.  I wrote up the pattern, charted it and sent it off to 8 lovely women from Ravelry who agreed to test it for me — 4 with the written directions and 4 with the charted directions.  I felt good.  I felt like all would go well.

WRONG!

There were a million issues for such a small  piece of knitting.  Mostly all my fault.  I revised, rewrote, recharted.  I spent time at 5 in the morning.  My husband got involved when I was at work and my computer was at home and a tester needed something before I got home.  In short, it wasn’t good.  It wasn’t going well.  But these testers picked up EVERYTHING.  By the time I sent it out the the tech editor, it was nearly perfect.

In this cloud, there was a silver lining.  The pattern was so well-tested that I’m confident that when I release it this Monday,  it will be fantastic.

So a special thank you to my testers:  Ingela, Jess, Rose, Viki, Paula, Maria, Corinne and Louise.  You are my knitting angels!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s